[code][/code]

Project X-8 (times 8) Hackintosh. Feat White Lightning.

Discuss and share your customised PCs, modifications and other projects.
ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Project X-8 (times 8) Hackintosh. Feat White Lightning.

Post #1 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:21 pm

OK chaps this is a little truncated because I forgot to post it here first (spank me for being naughty).

Any way, here we go.....

The idea. As you guys will know by now when I was speccing listing and ordering parts for the BPM I digressed a little and bought an 8 core Ivybridge E with a Gigabyte board. I fitted it into my lady's rig and was going to sell the 8320. However, after having a good think I realised that I was only about three cheapish parts away from a full Hackintosh build.

I love Macs, I make no secret of that. I just love OSX, for back end stuff it pisses on Windows. I can set up a web server in about five minutes on OSX.. Any way, so before I bought BPM I was seriously thinking about buying myself a Mac Pro. You know? the one that looks like a hoover cylinder? Well any way, I wasn't exactly enamoured with the specs per price so I decided to go PC. However, I still want a Mac. I want to get into video editing, and I have two step kids that can teach me.

So the idea was born...

Here is what I have managed to pilfer, purloin and scavenge so far.

Intel ?. OK so it's basically a 8 core 16 thread Intel IVBE running at 2ghz on all 8 cores. Very low powered, very little heat (this is good, main aim with X-8 is absolute silence..
Gigabyte X79 UD3.
4gb Geil Extreme 2333mhz memory (Apparently 4gb is still the norm on Macs..)
MSI GTX 480 Lightning. The card needs some work and some cleaning up, but it's ****** powerful.
XFX Pro series Black Edition 750w non modular PSU. I bought this for my media rig for £40 inc but it's wasted in there. Gonna buy a 300w and switch it out.
Case - undecided.
Cooling - a huge great brick of Aluminium, originated in an old Dell. I am going to use a 60mm San Ace fan, modded, running on a stand alone fan controller.
Cables. Going to do some braiding with paracord.
OS - OSX Mavericks.

So today I started rifling through boxes. I managed to procure an awful, awful lot of stuff when building The BPM.

I have a pair of 140mm Corsair AF fans that came with the H110 that I didn't use. These have 5mm LED holes.

Fan splitter (always hella useful)

Black and white SATA cables.

Some Arctic F fans. Two 120mm, one 92mm,

And this. This came fitted to the Cosmos 2, but it didn't fit with what I wanted so I removed it. I forgot all about it tbh, but something like this would cost at least £40 or son.

It's the dual drive hot swap unit :)

The PSU.

160gb 7200 RPM SATA laptop drive. I always like to use these over their desktop brethren because you can hide them away completely.

The drive actually hauls ass. Very high spec speed wise. I'm not worried about storage as I have a 400gb Lacie Porsche Firewire drive I use as a time machine.

One PWR/RST switch panel taken from a Silverstone Temjin TJ07.

ASST.

Things I have on order. 50ft of this.

40 of these (12v wired LEDs, really CBA pissing around with them)

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Project X-8 (times 8) Hackintosh. Feat White Lightning.

Post #2 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:26 pm

OK. So this afternoon I took apart TDC and removed the UD3 and Xeon. I replaced them with the 8320 and CHFZ that I took out recently.

And the board.

I also spent ages removing the horrible stickers on the fans.

The case. It's a toss up ATM, but I want something professional and mean looking. Many years ago I had a IBM Intellistation M Pro which was dual Xeon. It had a slatted front, which I fell in love with. Here is the case.. £28 or so, expect it to be cut to within an inch of its life.

It comes with a window, which will save me £6 or so.

And the top panel.

More to come soon !
Alienware Area 51 2014.

pgi947
Sergent
Sergent

Post #3 by pgi947 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Sounds great Andy!

Word to the wise if this is your first dabble with hackintosh, read some of the hardware wikis on project x86, will usually point you to any specific kexts that need added during install.

That said it all might have gotten easier since I last used it 3-4 years ago, when it was a major feat just to syphon through verbose errors to finally hit the desktop :D
4770K @ 4.7ghz - Z97 Xpower AC
8GB Trident-X 2400mhz
780 Phantom GLH SLI
Antec HCP Platinum 1000w - 3 x 256gb SSD
XSPC H2+

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #4 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Thankfully I found me an expert who is helping me as I go !

He's basically collecting info/software and when the rig is built he will send it all over to me :)

Really lucky TBH, as the last time I looked at this stuff it bent my brain a little. It's nowhere near as easy as people think it is. However, I dabbled a lot recently with Ubuntu and had to seriously work some Sudo magic to make that work, so I've been practising.

:D
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Gregster
Captain
Captain

Post #5 by Gregster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Looking forward to the build and how you get on with the Hackintosh. I never really bothered looking into this (sounded far too much effort), so interested to see how you get on.
3930K @ 4.625 - Tri SLI Titans - RIVF - 16GB Avexir 2133Mhz
EVGA 1300W G2 - XSPC H2 case - Fully water cooled with EK/XSPC
Asus ROG Swift Monitor - Logitech G19/G502/G25 peripherals

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #6 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Cheers Greg. :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

pgi947
Sergent
Sergent

Post #7 by pgi947 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:12 pm

From what I gathered when I was doing (10.5 leopard) it, was getting as close to the bone as possible with regards to available apple supported hardware, everything down to specific instruction sets for CPU's, I know things have changed and gotten a fair bit easier since I tried, especially now as chipsets are far more streamlined, unlike 775 where you had chipsets all over the shop, made it a nightmare unless you were on something like X48.

I do think going the Xeon route is a great idea though, should give far less hassle as i'd imagine a few of the high end mac servers etc... are built on C606.
8GB Trident-X 2400mhz
780 Phantom GLH SLI
XSPC H2+

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #8 by ALXAndy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:28 am

The last time I dabbled with any sort of OSX was in 2005. I set up Pear PC, which was the emulator. God it was slow haha.

Now that was difficult. Like, really, really difficult.

X79 is natively supported by Lion and on. I can run Mavericks on mine. Nvidia released a driver for the GTX 480 in 2010, so there's an actual driver out there. So I should be all sorted tbh :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #9 by ALXAndy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Afternoon all. I'm very busy at the moment so I've not been posting much. Any way, I just went to Ebay and ordered pretty much everything.

I can't post images ATM as it's a royal faff on this phone, but here is what I ordered..

500w cheap PSU for the Kabini rig.
Justop New Wave case (the slat vented one).
100ft white paracord (to go with the 50ft I already ordered, full braid should be possible now !)
Silverstone 3.5" fan controller with a white Silverstone fan. I wanted the controller for the HSF fan but will use the fan also as it's really nice.
500ml white primer.
2 x 250ml white glitter spray. You will see how this comes in later...
5 x 7v fan resistors. This bugger will be silent...
1 x A3 5mm white frost acrylic.
1 x A3 5mm black acrlyic.
2 x 50mm x 40mm chrome Apple logos.

So plenty of stuff. It should be more than enough to complete the entire build, but I won't know for sure obs until I get working.

More soon !
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #10 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:28 pm

OK guys, I'm back. I probably need to explain...

I had a vacation planned for September. It was really lovely and nice. I just don't make a point of announcing to the online world that I am going on holiday. Kinda makes sense with all the gear I have.

Any way, good news ! multiple orders were placed yesterday for the kit and kaboodle that I will need for the build. Note - there will be a minimal amount of carbon wrap in this build most of the parts will get paint.

Talking of which, 1 x 500ml white primer.

And then something a bit different, two 250ml cans of white glitter paint.

Obviously I will be experimenting with that... I didn't order any gloss because I have some clear coat left over from the TVR build. Any way, I settled on the case...

And ordered a few chrome apple logos.

Fan resistors (7v). This rig is going to be as close to silent as I dare...

OK. So I needed a fan controller for the 60mm fan going on the cooler. I looked and looked and couldn't find anything I liked so I just said fuggit and ordered this thing.

The controller will be modded and I'll use that white fan as an intake for the front of the rig, with it being so pretty and all.

Also remember I need to purloin the XFX power supply out of the media rig so I just ordered this bucket of bolts.

500w. £15. If my rig eats more than 100w I'll be amazed (Kabini onboard etc).

OK. So last but not least.. You'll note in the title I promised White Lightning? Well, I don't mean this shite.

I mean the GPU itself. Expect heavy modifications, including these.

Whilst they are pictured as having a 3 pin PWM connector (which would work fine I could control it with the Gigabyte software) they should in effect look like this...

Meaning they should connect directly to the GPU so I can go back to using some sort of GPU software..

More to come soon. So far I found a few bits in the hall way when I came home. A can of primer, 40 or so white LEDs (wired and resisted) and the first 50ft of paracord..

Over and out ! ;)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #11 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:34 pm

OK so I got some stuff done. First I took apart the graphics card and broke it into the component parts so that I can modify it. Here are the parts to be modded.

Apologies for the quality of the photos. It's now very dark here.. OK, so whilst I was away I saw these.

Which are very good for creating a key on plastic. I did the main body of the plastic with these, then hit the rest with P600 wet. The back plate has also been wet sanded, both are now cleaned, dry and ready for paint.

More soon :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #12 by OverFienD » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Good stuff :clap: :thumbup:
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #13 by ALXAndy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Cheers OF !

Unlike other builds I'm going to try and tackle this one part at a time. Time I have.. This is one of the very few builds I've done that aren't either needed immediately or have to be build and then modded.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

pgi947
Sergent
Sergent

Post #14 by pgi947 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Looking forward to the next update :)
8GB Trident-X 2400mhz
780 Phantom GLH SLI
XSPC H2+

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #15 by ALXAndy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

OK well today it's the first day of paint.

A few times in the past when doing a build I've started too many things at once and ended up not getting the results I wanted.

So, I've sat down and looked at this thing logically and decided to do one component at a time, given so many components need modding.

The Lightning is now being painted, results thus far are very good. I've always liked Mac parts because they look so different :)

I'll be posting up some pics later, thanks for your posts so far guys.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #16 by ALXAndy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Been working pretty hard today. So the parts for the Lightning are now in flat white. Here they are..

The back plate.

The other back plate.

And all together.

I will now leave those to harden for a few days, and if I like the way the white glitter sprays I will coat them, then hit them with laquer.

Also today I have been making the cooler. I have made parts for it, will post more on that later :) What I need to do now is convert the Nidec fan that's on Dell connectors to a 4 pin PWM. I've found this..

So at some point today I will need to crack out the solder iron, braiding and so on.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #17 by ALXAndy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:28 pm

OK so here is the case. However, it's not together ATM as I'm saving that for later ;)

And the mountain of pig iron I freed..

Had about 20 rivets to drill out and then some pretty severe cutting. But it's where I want it to be now :)

Edit. Forgot to upload the photo of the finished cooler :D

Alienware Area 51 2014.

1Day
Sergent
Sergent

Post #18 by 1Day » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 pm

All I can say is wow!!!!

I have never gone to anything near those lengths for a build. I tend to be neat in my setup but what the overall package asthetics are mean very little to me - mainly I guess because no one will ever see them and they are work systems (gaming is sort of work)

Great to see your work log progressing.
Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting.
Gottfried Leibniz

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #19 by ALXAndy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks !

I know exactly what you mean. I usually need the rig built first, then do the mods later. This makes it hard to heavily mod it as it needs to be running.

The last case I modded came out so well, but it turned out I had a duff motherboard so it's sitting under the stairs. Thankfully I only spent about £30 on it, and there are parts in it I want for X8. That will save me money and time :)

I forgot to list another part I needed for the build.. A new ****** doorbell. Basically I was away for a week and UPS came three times (the seller did not get my message the knob) and they pressed the doorbell so hard they broke the button and I've had to rush out and buy another one before tomorrow when I'm expecting a load more deliveries.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

1Day
Sergent
Sergent

Post #20 by 1Day » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 pm

UPS left a ASUS Matrix card graphic card on my front door step today. Can you believe that...
Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting.
Gottfried Leibniz

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #21 by ALXAndy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:52 am

Sounds about right. I've had better service from Hermes lately !

Any way, time to talk about the top, and how much I hate it.

As you can see from the photos of the case the front has that lovely slatted late 90s IBM Intellistation look about it. Sadly, unlike the photos it's not matte. It's gloss, but it's really horrible gloss that has absolutely no place on the rig at all. That's why I've not taken any photos of it yet. Now the front is lovely, nice and solid too, but the sides of the front (the side edges) are the same as the top. It really is putrid.

Now I thought about just masking up the case, giving those shiny areas a quick sand and then blowing on some matte black, but then I had an idea. This stuff is relatively new, but basically it's 3M with a twist.

White matte glitter vinyl. So, what I intend to do is cover the entire top, cut out the nasty button panel and cover it in and then mount my own power button. Instead of taking out the mesh and painting it white I will take it out, cover the top white and then just put it back in as is.

Not sure how this will look tbh, but it'll look a darn sight better than the crap it looks now. I've also not seen this vinyl used yet on a build and it should go nicely with the white glitter painted parts :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #22 by ALXAndy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Update. The Postman came just as I said "Oh come on Postman I want to get modding !" which was kinda strange.

Anyhoo, lots of stuff came. I got white glitter spray* white heatshrink, the fans for the GTX 480, and the fan and controller**

So here is the fan and controller**

The fan. This is going in the front***

I've already moved the stickers around, so this side is bare.

Oh, and the white GPU fans.

OK, so I had an idea. I did not want to mount a silver 3.5" panel in my PC as it would look kinda stupid. As you've seen I have already chopped out the bay (in metal from the inside of the front of the case structure) so I had no way to screw it in any way. So, I took it apart like this.

And then bought a knurled knob (hehehehe) and did this.

So I ground out the back to make it flat, drilled a hole and simply mounted it into the actual case panel. This clips in and out very easily. Here is the knurled knob (hehehehe)

*s.

* The glitter spray does not have any glitter and is just white spray paint. :( So the white parts will go back together as they are.

** Sadly the fan controller only works with the 120mm supplied fan. This is not an issue as I will just use it for the front intake.

*** The front of the case does not have a mount for the 120mm fan. It is not on the plastic part, and wasn't on the metal part I cut out. Strangely it does have a dust filter in the front :?

All very, very odd. Any way, I have made a plate that carries the fan (will be glued into the front panel) and have began painting it black.

More later guys, be good !

A.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #23 by ALXAndy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Problems.

So last night I braided the fans and modified the cooler plates on the GTX Lightning, but when I test fired the fans one of them just sat there jerking. After lots of troubleshooting I had to face it, the fan was dead.

This is an issue. I do have other fans and I am in the process of spray painting them white, but I have now cut off the screw in supports for them /doh.

Two options then. 1. Buy another set of the Arctics and spend two hours modding them (testing them first of course) 2. Paint some yellow ones white and then find a way to mount them.

For now I have gone for option 2. The fans are apart, have been wired braided and all sorts, just got to hope they fit when I'm done.

So a humble lesson to all - make sure you test hardware before you mod it. Thankfully £8 isn't above me, but it's caused major hassle. It is a little depressing however that failure rates on new hardware seems to be higher than ever which indicates price cutting during manufacturing and poor quality control.

Ah well, ever onward and upwards...

Good news.

OK so the top of the case has mesh in. Sadly 'New Wave' or whatever they are called have designed the case badly. I fully expected this, and, take great pleasure in fixing their mistakes. Basically the top 120mm fan mounts are bulged upward so you get clearance in the case to fit them in there. However, had they left it flat the fans could have been mounted, invisibly, into the roof.

So, what I have done so far is take the roof, hack out the two middle posts (that do pretty much nothing) and then ground down the plastic to support plates. The plates have been made, glued in and are sound. Then I will take two 120mm fans, cut off the frames and mount them in the roof. This way the inside of the case will be less cluttered. Sadly to create that clearance I have to take the case to the Dremel again and hack out the entire top.

Fun fun fun lol.

No pics this time I'm afraid, but may have some later for you all :)

Be good !

A
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #24 by ALXAndy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:44 pm

This is my graphics card. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My graphics card is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My graphics card, without me, is useless. Without my graphics card, I am useless. I must overclock my graphics card true. I must overclock higher than my enemy . I will...
My graphics card and I know that what counts in war is not the hardware we run, the noise or heat, nor the brand. We know that it is the megahertz that count. We will score higher...
My graphics card is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its limits and its temperatures. I will keep my graphics card clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My graphics card and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviours of my life.
So be it, until benchmarks are mine and there is no enemy, but peace!

Ladies, Gentlemen, boys & girls, I present -White Lightning.

I also braided the 120mm fan and put on some dinoc to cover the wires. This is the front intake fan.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #25 by ALXAndy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:32 pm

OK this is the front panel.

But there's nowhere to fit a fan :S So I made and painted this yesterday.

And it goes in here.

And then...

Note. The black dinoc wire cover will be switched to a white one when the vinyl arrives :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Return to “Customising, Modding & Project builds”