http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tim-indigo-xtreme-intel-2011-3.html

Might have to give it a shot....

sandro c
Private
Private

Re: TIM

Post #2 by sandro c » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi Arne, :D

What do you think of this compound for water coolers ... and/or of course also for air cooler?
As you may recall, I was always .... "very sensitive to this issue" and I still have in my house already packed and ready to use, one of these "liquid metal compound sealed" of same brand... unfortunately for 1366, because I had to install it on my departed i7-960 in my old x58 platform ... but as I have already told, a summer lightning preceded this change ... wiping out entire PC.
Why do not I ever tested ... but I remember with some surprise that I had to run to initialize the compound, the CPU to over 90 degrees ! :o
Do you think it is true that it is so superior to compound type Artic Cooling or other?
[hr]
Rampage 4Ext.\i7-3930K @ 4550mhz
Corsair DGT \CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @ 2205mhz
Raid0 Samsung 840 pro\ 2x OCZ vertex4\ WD 1TB
AMD HD-6970 \ monitor Samsung 32"HD
Enermax 625W \ Creative X-FI Titan 5+1
Noctua NHD14 \ Dynatron R13
Blu-Ray Pioneer \Termaltake Armor+
Win7 profess.\ Win10 Tech.prev

kimandsally
Corporal
Corporal

Post #3 by kimandsally » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 am

I used it years ago I actually tested it here in the UK in 2009 I believe, back then I was always testing things so I asked and was sent 4 samples I gave 2 to my friend and kept 2. Without doubt as good as you will ever get but follow the instructions to the letter, much easier to clean off than liquid metal it sort of peels off in 1 piece.
Only downside if you get it wrong when using it then it's for the bin and they are expensive or I would use them today. I use Gelid extreme which is only a minute amount behind it and you have no problems getting it of to clean it, good for air water and LN2.

sandro c
Private
Private

Post #4 by sandro c » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi kimandsally . :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, and trying to learn more about the compound Gelid extreme that you used, I found the link that control to reciprocate that knowledge, that convinced me of the difficulties that we encounter in the use of "liquid metal "in the syringe, referred to as the ne plus ultra of compounds........http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/the ... .html...... very interesting to know the characteristics and results of tests on the best-known compound commercially. :D

Greetings from
sandro c.
[hr]

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #5 by Arne Saknussemm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:30 pm

sandro c wrote:What do you think

Not sure what to think until I try it to be honest...will have to order a couple of packs and give it a try....although you are right the heating up the chip to get it flowing is a bit of a worry and the thing that scares me off the most.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating I guess?

Still with this terrible sample CPU I have I don't think I'll worry much so I think I will give it a go and I'll report back with what I find.

PS. I have been away from house a lot with work lately but missus finally posted your RAM today so look out for that... :)

sandro c
Private
Private

Post #6 by sandro c » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi Arne, :D

certainly, until you try you're ready to make judgments, as well as the pudding .... the important thing is that the burning does not reduce the CPU to a pudding ... that burning smell!
Unfortunately, the burning seems very important and must be done while the CPU "lies perfectly horizontal, but from all the YouTube videos and the various explanations do not show it when you are sure of the perfect diffusion of metal ... it how it is possible that the plastic the container of liquid metal, which apparently remains between cpu and radiator can conduct heat better than conventional pastes. Bha! I do not I'll use it until someone referred to me to trust not try and tell me that it works well. :mrgreen:
For Ram to send, I keep telling you not to worry.
Hello Arne.
sandro c.
[hr]

Luumi
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #7 by Luumi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 am

Just use gelid gc extreme everywhere. Only liquid pro is needed in delidded scenarios.

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #8 by Arne Saknussemm » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Arne Saknussemm wrote:Might have to give it a shot....

OK...so as well as the Titan blocks I ordered one of these kits from EK....now I have to get up the courage to use it :shock: :lol:

Lurpack
Private
Private

Post #9 by Lurpack » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Use Gelid Xtreme its the best option for all.

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #10 by Arne Saknussemm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 am

Don't understand the Gelid recommendations :? It's horrible stuff....consistency of cat poo and then dries out...inspires no confidence for me...I'm a PK1-PK3 fan myself....but will give this stuff a go

But I'm a gin and tonic fan too :mrgreen:

Pulse88
Corporal
Corporal

Post #11 by Pulse88 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:11 pm

@Arne
You got some tips for best paste for subzero cooling. Since you are a hwbot bencher :mrgreen:

My own thoughts for pastes and experience.

Gelid is very good performing all round paste. Top notch from ambient to LN2 cooling.Are the best for subzero.
Can be expensive if you swap hardware often.Gelid extreme i will use for cascade

best value
Mx4 i use a lot with cold water and SS inexpensive good performer. Are good down to -65 cooling temps. Not a god performer for cascade,LN2 temps
easy application etc.

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #12 by Arne Saknussemm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Pulse88 wrote:You got some tips for best paste for subzero cooling

Well, this is the "Watercooling" section and anyone can be a HWBOT bencher serious or for fun but alright.... ;)

I tend to cover myself in a mix of bear fat and baking lard when temps drop

But for the CPU I have no idea...I have never done that type of cold benching...

You say Gelid comes into its own there? Good to know..

:)

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #13 by Henkenator68NL » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Honestly,

I have tried all the stuff, the stock stuff from EK has some issues with flowing evenly over the gpu/cpu. So I always toss that straight in the bin.

Artic MX4 is the stuff that I like best. It does a perfect job, it's easy to apply (and clean if you over do it). Nothing to it actually. Getting a correct mount is more important than the Tim you use.

Tip: practise with applying method and amount of Tim on a piece of plexiglass - if you have any, stra8ght piece of glass also works.
Draw a square with size of your cpu / gpu-core.
Put some Tim (try pee method, or cross method .
And than firmly push down the waterblock.
Wiggly it ever so gently to enhance spread of the Tim.
Now look at the plexi; from the side: See any Tim squeezing out? = to much tim
Turn over the plexi (so you look through the plexi and see the Tim under the block: See any wave like crackles: there is air in the Tim this prevents optimal heat transfer. You need to redo the TIm
If al still looks good, try to pull of the waterblock in straight line up from the plexi. Does it come off easy: the Tim was not applied correctly.
If it does come of with considerable force applied while gently wiggling and the bottom of the block has a nice even spread 9f tim: that's what you want to see.
Clean it up (always use isoprop (ISA) to clean the surface of any remaining Tim, remove stains and fatty fingerprints.

Those things put into practice combined with a good fit will give you great performance.
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=30][tab=30][tab=30]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGILH-TAxOozS67iX3HXDiw
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #14 by Arne Saknussemm » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:57 am

I still have this stuff sitting here....

Since my CPU is crap on water I am wondering if it is time to buy a new 5960X....just about any other CPU is going to be better I reckon...and maybe wasting this stuff on my current dog would tick me off...

:D

If I get bored one of these days...

Anyone used this on a watercooled CPU? I can imagine reflow is easy on air but wondering about thermal capacity of waterblock even with no flow and wheather it can hamper reflow...

I guess I have high ambient in my favour for this....

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #15 by Henkenator68NL » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Arne Saknussemm wrote:I still have this stuff sitting here....

Since my CPU is crap on water I am wondering if it is time to buy a new 5960X....just about any other CPU is going to be better I reckon...and maybe wasting this stuff on my current dog would tick me off...

:D

If I get bored one of these days...

Anyone used this on a watercooled CPU? I can imagine reflow is easy on air but wondering about thermal capacity of waterblock even with no flow and wheather it can hamper reflow...

I guess I have high ambient in my favour for this....

What exactly is your setup Oli? Depending on that I guess there must be room for improvement for your watercooling!
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=30][tab=30][tab=30]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGILH-TAxOozS67iX3HXDiw
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #16 by Arne Saknussemm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:17 am

Henkenator68NL wrote: I guess there must be room for improvement for your watercooling!

What are you saying about my watercooling? :x

:lol:

No my setup is great...two 480 Monstas and a 360 for dunking in an ice bath....I have not seen the CPU go further than 70 even though it likes voltage

I was wondering if a waterblock and water convection would hamper reflow when using this TIM. It is supposed to quickly heat up, reflow and then shutdown. I imagine this is easy on air but might be hampered a bit with a good block full of water...like have to run hot for longer...which I don't like the thought of.

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #17 by Bones » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:30 pm

I mainly use good "ol ceramique for most of my benching since it's cheap yet performs well enough to get me the results I want.
Not as good as some out there for sure but from an expense standpoint it for me is the way to go since I'm always swapping stuff in and out of the torture rack. I've been using it for years now and as far as a "Value" TIM goes it's pretty good, esp for air and watercooling use. Cleanup can be a bit tedious but it's still OK to use even on de-lidded chips.

For sub-zero I've been using Noctua NT-H1 as of late and it seems to do well, it's one of the top rated TIMs out there ATM and it's easy to use plus a little goes a very long way.
Non-conductive and cleanup isn't bad at all, just more or less wipes right off with ease. Works well with de-lidded chips too.

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #18 by Henkenator68NL » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
What are you saying about my watercooling? :x

:lol:

No my setup is great...two 480 Monstas and a 360 for dunking in an ice bath....I have not seen the CPU go further than 70 even though it likes voltage

I was wondering if a waterblock and water convection would hamper reflow when using this TIM. It is supposed to quickly heat up, reflow and then shutdown. I imagine this is easy on air but might be hampered a bit with a good block full of water...like have to run hot for longer...which I don't like the thought of.

Oh lol yeah I miss read that part. But still my question remains how do have your loop setup?

Not many people realize that the way the loop is put together have a way way big effect on efficiency = cool power!

I see loads of people chucking 4, 5, or even 6 radiators in their rig and oeh lalaa it performs great ! I dear to so no way Hose !

General Misconceptions:
More rads equal more cooling capacity : NOPE
More pumps equal more cooling capacity : NOPE
More and way more powerfull fans will improve the cooling capacity: NOPE, not by definition

The only way to really tell how good your loop cools it to put thermal sensors in the water = in the loop (not some in-line sensor, but one that actually sits with its but in the cooling liquid).
1 sensor on the inlet of your cpu block and 1 sensor on the outlet of your cpu block ----> monitor/log those sensors the temperature difference = the amount of heat that is actually being transported !!
same goes for GPU(s) / other watercooled compenents!
Last but not least place a sensor on the end of the radiators = where the fluid temp = (should be ) at its lowest point, and one at inlet of radiator = highest fluid temp

Fluid dynamics are at play here and its behaviour inherently is linked to cooling if you use the liquid to dissipate heat !

I have pulled dozens of watercooling setups out of the case redone it -with the laws of fluid dynamic in min- and the cooling performance improved substantially!

Doing this makes 100x more difference than some tim that sits between cpu/gpu and waterblock (look at all tim reviews how much difference?? maybe 2-3 degrees).

Here is what I meant:

So thats why i asked how your loop was setup, maybe easy improvements are awaiting you !
LOL
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #19 by Arne Saknussemm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Yeah, funny you mention that...I was jotting some stuff down earlier with the aim of optimising

But then I thought I'd just have a look at my deltas and since they are 3 or 4 degrees I stopped worrying :P

Henkenator68NL
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #20 by Henkenator68NL » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Haha lol

Benchers myopia

Lol
[tab=30][tab=30]Image
[tab=190]Carpe Diem

Arne Saknussemm
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #21 by Arne Saknussemm » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:13 pm

I have my loop pretty well made I think...plenty of experimentation etc

Order not really important but goes

Res-Dual D5s-480-GPUs(parallel)-480-360(in the loop for ice bucket dunking)-CPU-Res

The dual D5s are more for redundancy if I am out and downloading something...run at 3/5. Parallel GPUs to keep restriction down and flow up....the 360 is probably adding restriction and little cooling on a normal day but it makes ice bucket fun available and then it pays its own way easlily.

Probably should buy some QDCs and have the 360 optional in the loop but as I say delta is 4 degrees c at seville ambient which is good I think and I can get it 3 in cool weather with fans on high...

Return to “Watercooling”