Chromed brass or copper tubing

Discuss watercooling here.
Matsglobetrotter
Cadet
Cadet

Chromed brass or copper tubing

Post #1 by Matsglobetrotter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi,

Have finally settled down in Rome this time so time to start a new build. I left the other one behind in Africa. It will be a X99 system with water cooling in some configuration. What I though want to do is use copper or brass hard tubing (preferably chromed) but still do the right thing and bend them to look nice. So far I have found Alphacool doing such tubes but they seem quite thick 1.5mm thus are those actually bendable? At the local plumbingshop i have found copper tubing (not chromed) which have about 0.8mm wall thickness which I know are bendable with the right tools. Are there other related watercooling brands/shops around . so far I have found only aquatuning with the alphacool line.

Regards,

Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and la macchina ASUS X99E-WS, 5960X, Galax GTX 980Ti HOF, G.Skill 3400 DDR4, EVGA1300 G2 Powersupply, Corsair 900D, EKWB XE480,Samsung SSD 850 EVO, D5-pump. Copper tubing, Corsair K70 RGB, EK-Supremacy EVO

kkn_
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Chromed brass or copper tubing

Post #2 by kkn_ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm

copper bends easy.
but the problem is, is that it may "implode" some when bending it unless you have the right tools.
.8mm is standard in houses i think, but why i dont know, for me its too thin to be honest, but i guess its becouse of prices.
brass it not that easy to bend compare to copper, and its more brittle.
how about acryllic tubing ? unless you did that last time :P

welcome to europe again, how long you going to stay there then?

jab383
Private
Private

Post #3 by jab383 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 am

Rather than bend copper tubing, I would - and have done when plumbing the house - solder in elbow or Tee fittings. That takes a propane torch and the right sort of solder and flux. The benefits are that thick wall tubing doesn't have to be bent and thin wall tubing will not collapse. The remaining problem for me would be how to connect to the waterblock, radiator, pump etc.

Were you in the US rather than Italy, I'd direct you to Home Depot. Is there an equivalent there?

Jeff

Matsglobetrotter
Cadet
Cadet

Post #4 by Matsglobetrotter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks guys,

Ill be around for a while :-) enough to build one or two machines for some OC stuff. Or rather one for normal use and one for toying around with. I can get the right tools for bending and even coppertubes as such but wanted to see if i can get the chromed versions. Those seems harder to come by so far anyway. Connections to radiator and pump exists already at various suppliers as they use the same for hard acrylic tubes but im not closer on the chromed tubes so far.

Regards,

MatsGlobetrotter
Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and la macchina ASUS X99E-WS, 5960X, Galax GTX 980Ti HOF, G.Skill 3400 DDR4, EVGA1300 G2 Powersupply, Corsair 900D, EKWB XE480,Samsung SSD 850 EVO, D5-pump. Copper tubing, Corsair K70 RGB, EK-Supremacy EVO

Return to “Watercooling”